Call it business or call it a professional gamer or simply video games, there is always mixed reactions when it comes to gaming especially in India. The Indian Digital industry is going rapidly. With the growth of Jio and reduced data charges, more and more people are joining the mobile gaming platform. Now people are getting paid to play games. And families have come to a point where they are supporting gaming as a career. The term esports is a now a thing in India.
According to Rohit Sharma(founder of POKKT), 89% of all game revenues in India was generated by mobile games. India has professional teams now which compete globally. People are taking streaming as their main job and people are watching that. The main reason for this boost is the better internet connection. ISP 's are providing high-speed internet at low cost and for students, cafe and colleges are becoming spots for playing multiplayer.
India was never known for gaming but cheaper pricing and live streamers made it possible. Nazara Games, a leading mobile game publishing company is investing $20 million (approximately Rs 136 crore) to develop the Indian eSports ecosystem over the next five years.
Now gaming is becoming a new entertainment platform where people love to watch games and the gamer is getting paid to do so. Also not to mention the advertisement companies are showing their ads through games. Since the user base is more, the ads reach a number of people.
So to conclude gaming is now no more a hobby. People are choosing Gaming as a career rather than their 9-5 jobs. India has more than 250 game development companies. India's mobile games market will be worth $1.1 billion by 2020. We have a generation of parents who are gamers too and encourage their kids and help them balance gaming along with other life priorities. More global companies will be entering India by end of 2018.
- Esports is a multi-billion dollar industry and, according to Business Insider, it will reach $1.5 billion in revenue by 2020.
- India is among the top five countries in mobile gaming, the industry is already worth over $890 million.
- Dota 2, an online multiplayer game, featured a total prize pool of more than $24 million in 2017.
- The term ' eSports made it to the dictionary in 2015 as competitive tournaments of video games.
- India ranks 3rd in google play store for downloading most games.