- Are you also struggling with the CSGO fps boost?
- CSGO fps drops after the Trusted Mode update?
- Here are the best CSGO fps optimization tips.
This guide is written after the 'Trusted mode update' when many users complained that they were not able to get constant/high FPS as earlier. So here is the guide to boost FPS in CSGO. This post will guide you through 9 steps and some sub-steps, to optimize FPS in CSGO. I am 99% sure that, this guide will help you, and if you fall in that 1% who by any chance, are not able to boost your FPS, comment below and I would be there to help you out.
Before starting CSGO fps optimization, it is highly recommend to:
- Update to the latest windows version.
- Install the game in SSD if you have one.
- Make sure you backup you're in-game mouse settings and key binds. (note them down and do not save the config)
Here is the checklist for CSGO fps boost:
- Create a restore point.
- Updating graphic card drivers.
- Basic Optimization.
- Csgo Optimization Folder
- Setting Launch Options
- Config Optimization
- Setting Csgo Priority
- Windows Registry Optimizations
- Command Prompt
- Task Manager Settings
- GPU Optimization
- In-Game Settings
- Battery Settings
- Deleting Temporary Files
Each of the listed points have been explained below. So no more fps drops in CSGO.
1. Create a restore point
For creating a restore point:
- Go to the bottom left-hand side windows icon and click on it.
- When the panel opens, type in 'restore', without Apostrophe and click on 'create a restore point'.
- When the dialogue box opens, select 'C drive' and click on configure.
- When the new dialogue box appears, click on 'Turn on system protection' and set the 'max usage' to around 5%.
- Then, click on 'create' and choose a name that you can remember easily and then click on create.
- Wait for the system to complete and then click on close.
2. UPDATING GRAPHIC CARD DRIVERS
Updating graphic card drivers is very important as it fixes many bugs, which may occur due to many reasons, like updates of different Softwares, etc. and the company constantly keeps on fixing them, so that the GPU can run on its full potential.
- Latest updates for AMD and Nvidia can be found here.
- Install these updates
- Restart the machine.
- And then proceed to the next steps.
3. BASIC OPTIMIZATION TO BOOST FPS IN CSGO
- Navigate to the 'Local File' in the 'Properties' window and click on 'Browse local files'
- Then, right-click on 'CSGO' and go to 'Properties'
- Then, go to 'Compatibility' tab and tick/check on 'Disable full-screen optimizations' and uncheck the other two options.
- Then go to 'Change high DPI settings' and tick/check on 'Override high DPI scaling behaviour' and select 'Application' from the drop-down menu.
- Then click 'OK', 'Apply', 'Ok'.
You would now need to download a small optimization folder from here.
4. CSGO OPTIMIZATION FOLDER
After downloading and extracting the folder,
A. SETTING LAUNCH OPTIONS
- Open the .txt file named 'Launch options'.
- After opening it, you need to change '-freq 240' to whatever refresh rate your screen has.
For eg., if you are using 144hz monitor, then you need to change it to '-freq 144'.
- After changing the value, copy the whole line and,
- Open your Steam client and navigate to 'Library'
- Then right-click on counter strike global offensive in the left panel and go to properties.
- There you would see an option named 'Set Launch Options' under the general tab.
- After clicking on it paste the whole text you copied in the dialogue box and click OK. ( Before pasting, clear anything written there).
B. CONFIG OPTIMIZATION
- Now, open the 'Configs' folder inside 'CSGO Optimization folder'.
- Now you need to choose the config according to your PC/Laptop. If you are using a high-end PC use 'high end' config and so on. If you are not sure, use the 'Recommended' config. You can also try with different configs to know which one suits your PC best if you have time.
- After choosing the right folder for you, open it and copy the files in it in
c:\program files(x86)\steam\userdata\your account number\730\local\cfg
- To find your account number:
- Open your 'Steam client' and navigate to inventory.
- Then go to 'Trade Offers' and in the right-hand side click on 'Who can send me trade offers'.
- Then scroll down and you will see your trade URL
- In trade URL you will see an 8 digit number and that's your 'account number'.
- To find your account number:
C. SETTING CSGO PRIORITY
- After that, open the 'CSGO Priority' folder.
- Inside it, you will see the windows 'registry entries' files.
- Open the 'CSGO High Priority' file and then click 'YES', 'YES', 'OK'.
- If the game crashes, then set the priority to 'Above normal', and if it still crashes, set it back to 'normal priority'.
D. WINDOWS REGISTRY OPTIMIZATIONS
- Now, open 'Windows registry fixes' folder.
- Then, Open each file one by one and alter the registry as done in the previous step.
E. COMMAND PROMPT
- Now run command prompt ( as administrator) by clicking on the windows icon and typing 'CMD'.
- Then, copy the whole command from the 'Command' text file, from the folder and paste it in CMD.
- Press enter.
- Close CMD
5. TASK MANAGER SETTINGS
- Open CSGO and then open the task manager.
- Right-click on the csgo tab and click on details.
- It will navigate you to the 'Details' tab of the task manager and highlight the 'csgo.exe' layer.
- Right-click on it and then click on 'Set affinity'.
- After that uncheck the 'CPU0' layer.
- Unchecking CPU0 layer increases the FPS as CPU0 is reserved for basic windows operations and if CSGO also runs on CPU0 as its main core then it would reduce the FPS and unchecking CPU0 would force the game to run on CPU1 as its main core, which would be much faster.
6. GPU OPTIMIZATION
- If you are using a NVIDIA GPU then you can find the in-depth guide for GPU Optimization here.
- If you are using an AMD GPU then you can find the in-depth guide for GPU Optimization here.
This is one the most important step and would surely boost your FPS IN-GAME and speed of your machine when not in-game.
7. In GAME SETTINGS (CSGO fps drops after update?)
- You can try lowering your in-game 'Screen resolution' to increase FPS and make sure you are always running the game on 'Full screen' and not on 'Windowed fullscreen'.
- Then set the following as mentioned:
- GLOBAL SHADOW QUALITY: VERY LOW
- MODEL TEXTURE/DETAIL: LOW
- EFFECT DETAILS: LOW
- SHADER DETAIL: LOW
- MULTICORE RENDERING: ENABLED
- MULTISAMPLING ANTI-ALIASING MODE: NONE
- FXAA ANTI- ALIASING: DISABLED
- TEXTURE FILTERING MODE: BILINEAR
- WAIT FOR VERTICAL SYNC: DISA BBLED
- MOTION BLUR: DISABLED
- TRIPLE MONITOR MODE: DISABLED
- CLICK APPLY
- THEN, NAVIGATE TO AUDIO TAB AND SET 'ADVANCED 3D AUDIO PROCESSING' TO 'NO'.
NOW PUT IN YOUR SETTINGS LIKE, MOUSE SENSITIVITY, CROSSHAIR ETC., WHICH WAS TOLD BE NOTED DOWN EARLIER.
8. BATTERY SETTINGS
- Now go to the bottom left corner and click on windows icon and type 'Edit power plan'.
- Open the Edit power plan tab and choose the 'Ultimate power plan' instead of balanced or power saver.
9. DELETING TEMPORARY FILES
- Now, type, '%temp%, either in windows menu or file explorer.
- Select all the files, all press delete.
- Delete all the files from that folder
- Don't worry if 3-4 files are not deleted.
BONUS TIP: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE 'MAXFPS_0' IN YOUR IN-GAME CONSOLE.
For opening console, Go to 'settings' -> 'Game Settings' -> 'Enable Developer Console(~) and then select 'Yes', and then hit the ` button which is just below the escape (ESC) button and on the left-hand side of '1' button and above 'Tab' button. xd
Troubleshooting and Footnote
These tips should solve your csgo fps drop issues. Do let us know in the comments below, if we have missed some point or if the above-listed tips didn't help you. Also, you can connect with us on Facebook & Instagram for more tips and guides.